Wednesday 11 August 2010

Supermarket survey

 I asked 3 local supermarkets what their policies are on supporting local producers and putting locally sourced goods on their shelves. I have been encouraged by the response received from www.waitrose.com but still waiting to hear from www.marksandspencer.com and www.morrisons.co.uk. 
Have you ever tried to source local produce from any supermarket chain?
I wanted to see how easy it would be to walk around a supermarket, for a normal weekly shop, looking for the local stuff; I must point out that, occasionally, taste preference, cost and regular availability will often take precedence over un-tried local food.
I spent quite a lot of time wandering around my local store peering at tiny labels attempting to find where the produce was from, some had helpful logos which were easily recognised but when reading the small print I realised that there were producers much nearer than the product I was putting in my basket.
As I was conducting market research, and had allotted time to do so, I actually spent about 2 hours, straining my eyes, (thats wearing very good varifocals),  and asking relevant questions of staff, before I lost the will to live. How, I ask, can a busy shopper be expected to find local produce as oppossed to a similar product which can be purchased at any supermarket in the same chain. I challenge the supermarket marketing departments to find a way of enhancing their local image by making local produce a priority. This may be to the angst of some of the larger producers, but as a shopper I feel that we have a right to know, without too much effort on our part, where the contents of our basket have come from.
I wonder who will take up the challenge?



No comments:

Post a Comment